Background Photo Credit:
Brantford International Villages Festival, Brantford, ON
- Cultural Districts
- Many cities have developed cultural districts or corridors. Are cultural zones a good idea? Or, should art be distributed throughout a community and be placed in unexpected places?
- Port Coquitlam, BC – Development study for Community Arts Village [PDF] - 2714KBDevelopment study for the creation of a "community arts village" in downtown Port Coquitlam, based on community cultural development principles.
- Municipal Development of Cultural Spaces: Illuminating the Contributions of Municipal Governments to the Development of Cultural Spaces [PDF] - 9550KB(August 2005).
- Whitehorse, YT – Cultural Spaces on the Whitehorse Waterfront [PDF] - 278KB(March 2005).
- Whitehorse, YT – On the Waterfront: The vision of Artspace North for Whitehorse Waterfront Development [PDF] - 503KB(July 2004).
- Whitehorse, YT – Catalysts: A review of organizations and cities that provide cultural infrastructure & Culture’s role in supporting economic and cultural tourism development [PDF] - 651KB(April 2004).
- Vancouver, BC – Co-operative planning partnership between Province and City for cultural precinct [PDF] - 47KBAnnounced in April 2006, the planning partnership will begin initial development work on establishing a cultural precinct in Downtown Vancouver that will review the City's lont-term and short-term cultural priorities – Press Release (April 5, 2006).
- Berkeley, CA – Addison Street Arts DistrictA model of downtown revitalization through arts & culture. A sustained & extensive ec. dev. programme led by the Berkeley Civic Arts Commission. Includes development of window galleries, sidewalk inserts, cultural facilities, arts schools, heritage re-use.
- Philadelphia, PA – Avenue of the ArtsReinventing South Broad Street as the Avenue of the Arts, a world class cultural destination, has been a civic goal in Philadelphia for nearly two decades.
- Port Coquitlam, BC – Development study for Community Arts Village [PDF] - 2714KB