Website Place des Arts
Contract Position, 7-week contract (subject to Canada Summer Jobs funding)
Start date: July 5, 2021
Rate: $17 / hr (35.0-hour work week)
Founded in 1972, Place des Arts is a not-for-profit arts education centre with a mission to inspire the artist in everyone. Located in the historic Maillardville neighbourhood of Coquitlam, we offer quality instruction for all ages and skill levels in the visual, literary and performing arts.
The Grimm Fairy Tales: An Inclusive Reimagining project, is a new approach to Place des Arts’ longstanding Summer Youth Theatre Troupe. Emerging IBPOC/LGBTQIA2S+ theatre professionals will take the reins of the Troupe, and with the mentorship of a seasoned creative team, they will share their contemporary life experiences through reinterpretations of three folk stories originally documented in the 18th century by the Brothers Grimm.
The IBPOC/LGBTQIA2S+ youth will select three Grimm stories, rewrite them to align with their own experiences, design the sets, costumes and props, cast the actors, rehearse and execute the performances. Guidance and training for the project will be provided by local theatre professionals. It is anticipated that the IBPOC/LGBTQIA2S+ youth will develop long term mentorship relationships and connections to the Lower Mainland theatre community through participation in this project.
Three unique performances will be prepared for the Tri-Cities community. Ideally, community members will be able to attend the performances in-person during the summer and fall of 2021. However, if COVID-19 public health restrictions do not permit outdoor gatherings at that time, the performances will be recorded, released and curated on Place des Arts’ YouTube channel.
Reporting to the Program and Events Coordinator and working with the Emerging Director and Stage Manager, the Assistant Stage Manager of the Summer Theatre Troupe will assist with all logistics of the rehearsals and the performances of the project.
• Production and Assistant Stage Management
• Attend production meetings and rehearsals
• Liaise with the various departments regarding all production elements
• Assist, in consultation with the Stage Manager and Emerging Director, the rehearsal schedule
• Assist with the maintenance the production binder
• Assist with performances, in consultation with Stage Manager and Emerging Director • Assist with wardrobe maintenance during the production
• Create and source production props
• Assist Stage Manager with ensuring COVID-19 safety measures and behavioural policies are followed
• Valid BC driver’s licence and access to a vehicle
• Previous experience and/or training coordinating and stage managing theatre • Ability to relate to teens
• Effective written and verbal communication skills
• Well organized with attention to detail
• Capacity to manage multiple tasks
• Competency in public speaking
• Ability to work independently and to exercise initiative
• Approachable and flexible, with an eagerness to learn
• Ability to work with a variety of personalities
• Must have a flexible work schedule to accommodate performance schedule
• Ability to lift up to 30 pounds
• Must have a police information check completed upon hiring
• Valid First Aid Certification by position start date
• Must be between 18 and 30 years of age at start of employment
• Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person on whom refugee protection had been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
• Must be legally entitled to work according to relevant provincial legislation and regulations
• Must not hold another full-time (30 or more hours) summer job or full-time study during their employment
• Previous experience working with youth
Please submit a resume with cover letter and references by March 5, 2021 to: [email protected], 1120 Brunette Avenue, Coquitlam, BC V3K 1G2
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Place des Arts is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.