Call to Artists / Expression of Interest EOI18 175
District of West Vancouver
This opportunity is open to professional artists and artist teams who demonstrate the following attributes:
- Are able to meet the deadlines and stay within approved budget.
- Have the skills and experience required to manage all phases of the implementation from design to installation.
- Open to artists from all nationalities.
- An understanding of the vision and themes as stated below.
The site for the public art is at the exterior of the main entrance to Municipal Hall either between the old building and the new wing, off 17th Street or in front of the entrance along 17th Street.
The installation will engage pedestrians along 17th Street and visitors to Municipal Hall.
- Should provide an engaging visual art aesthetic that is visible to people moving through the neighbourhood as well as accessing West Vancouver Municipal Hall.
- Should consider the context of the location and architecture of the old and new buildings.
- Should be approachable and inclusive to a broad demographic and variety of cultures. Be positive and convey a sense of welcome to visitors to Municipal Hall.
- May be more than one piece and pieces can vary in size but final installation should be large enough to have a significant visual presence to command attention from people passing by.
- There is no preference for materials but piece(s) must withstand weather and generally not require frequent and/or expensive maintenance.
- Could consider themes related to the geographical setting of West Vancouver, community history, and/or reflect the activity of the space as a community amenity.
- A maximum budget of $74,000 (Canadian funds) has been allocated for the commissioning of the artwork. The sum is inclusive of all artists’ fees, technical consulting, insurance requirements, fabrication, site preparation, installation, documentation, travel expenses, taxes, and all other related costs.
Artist(s) are requested to provide the following information in their EOI response:
- Name of artist and/or artists with contact information including full mailing address, an email address and telephone number;
- One-page letter outlining the artist’s conceptual approach to this project;
- Resume or CV of each artist who will be assigned to the project;
- Up to 12 images showing previous examples of the artist’s work (digital images submitted in .jpeg file format, on a thumb drive, or hard copy portfolio)
- A corresponding image list indicating the artist’s title, date, medium, location and value;
- A Video or DVD may be submitted if no longer than five minutes in duration; and
If awarded, the successful artist(s) will be required to provide the following documentation:
- A Commercial General Liability Insurance policy with a limit of not less than Two Million dollars inclusive per occurrence. The insurance certificate will name the District of West Vancouver as additional insured and be in a format acceptable to the District. Insurance certificate should also name members of the selection panel as additional insured.
- A clearance letter from Work Safe BC providing evidence that their firm is in good standing.
- If the Artist(s) does not have the benefit of mandatory workers compensation coverage under the Workers Compensation Act, the Artist(s) must apply for and maintain personal optional protection insurance (consisting of income replacement and medical care coverage) during the term of the contract at their expense if such personal optional protection insurance is available for the Artist(s) from WorkSafeBC or other source.
Closing date and Time
Submit your Expression of Interest (6 hard copy sets of written materials and one flash drive of images required) by September 27, 2018 at 2:00 p.m. local time to:
Please download and carefully review the complete Art Call before submitting.
Inquiries regarding this project may be directed to:
Doti Niedermayer, Senior Manager, Cultural Services