Active Citizenship Public Art Project Call for Submissions
City of Kingston
The City of Kingston invites submissions from local and regional emerging, mid-career and established visual artists to consider the theme of Active Citizenship for a Public Art Project that will activate transit stops and busses with interior and exterior installed graphics and signage. The selected works and images may be used by the City of Kingston on the website, through social media and in other print and digital forms related to the 2018 Municipal Election.
Vision and Themes
Under the theme of ‘Active Citizenship’ artists are asked to consider what it means to be an active citizen and to be democratically engaged within your municipality, neighbourhood and city. Artists are asked to consider ‘What Are You Voting For?’ when responding to this call for submissions. The aim of this public art project is to engage citizens, create awareness and inspire active citizens who recognize their power to vote about what matters to them in their neighbourhoods and wards. The selected art will be installed on busses, at bus shelters and used online. The City of Kingston seeks to increase voter turnout for the 2018 municipal elections and is calling upon our arts community to work with us to actively engage our citizens.
This opportunity is open to all emerging, mid-career and established artists and designers working in any medium. Kingston-based emerging and established artists and designers are encouraged to apply. In accordance with the City of Kingston Public Art Master Plan; an Artist is someone who: is recognized as a professional practicing artist by other artists working in the same field; has completed basic training (formal or informal) in their field; spends a significant amount of time practicing their art; and seeks payment for their work. An Established Artist is an artist who has an extensive body of work, a history of national and/or international presentation and who has achieved wide recognition by their peers. An Emerging Artist is an artist in the early years of their career who may have had some previous professional exhibitions, commissions, presentations or installations.
All submissions must be submitted digitally.
Artists are asked to submit a portfolio of up to 10 images of previous related works. In addition artists are encouraged to submit up to 5 images of proposed works that speak to the themes of Active Citizenship and civic engagement.
- Name of Artist
- Contact Information, including full mailing address, an e-mail address and phone number.
- Artist or Design CV, Statement highlighting your qualifications or other relevant experience
- Proposal, please include up to 10 images (JPEG Format) of your proposed works. Digital images must be submitted in .jpg file format • a maximum of 8 MB file size • a maximum resolution of 2400 X 3000 pixels. A We Transfer or Dropbox link is accepted. Please review the below image guidelines when submitting your proposal
- Support Material including up to ten digital images (JPEG format) of previous work, exhibition record, past commissions and awards. Digital images must be submitted in .jpg file format • a maximum of 8 MB file size • a maximum resolution of 2400 X 3000 pixels. A We Transfer or Dropbox link is accepted.
- Files Names all submitted files must be named using the following format, an accompanying image list is encouraged
- Selection Criteria and Process: All proposals must demonstrate an understanding of the vision and themes as stated. All proposals will be reviewed by a Jury.
- Deadline and Notifications: All proposals are to be submitted via e-mail to no later than Friday, May 31st at 3:00:00 (EST)
Please download and carefully review the complete call for submissions: COK_Active_Citizenship_Artists_Call.docx before applying.