Art Gallery of Windsor
The Executive Director role at the AGW offers a challenging and high-profile leadership opportunity to develop one of Canada’s finest arts institutions with global recognition in mind. The ideal candidate will have a passion for and knowledge of Canadian visual arts; strong interpersonal and relationship building skills; proven leadership ability in all aspects of gallery administration; and a record of success in managing development and fundraising.
The Executive Director will provide strategic and financial direction for the gallery and will report to the AGW’s Board of Directors. They will be charged with the broad challenge of steering the Gallery towards growth and expansion to realize a larger cultural impact in Windsor and the surrounding area.
With an overall mission to advance the Gallery’s relevancy within the diverse and growing community of Windsor, and to ensure the effective management of the Gallery, the Executive Director will have responsibility for development of Gallery strategy, plans, and operations to achieve agreed objectives.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for an exceptional senior executive, with the drive and ambition to realize the AGW’s vision, to lead an important art gallery to a new level of prominence.
You are a bright and astute personality who is an accomplished leader with energy, vision and enthusiasm. You love visual arts, but equally you love people and connect easily with them, be they staff, stakeholders, or members of the community. As such, you will be both leader and ambassador for the gallery – building and sustaining positive relationships with the Board, staff, members, volunteers, artists, patrons, the local community and art organizations in Canada and internationally.
You are a Director by nature and not primarily a curator. You are driven by leading an institution that thrives on all fronts and by providing the support needed by your staff to achieve their goals. Your fluency with emergent visual practice will provide guidance for the overall curatorial vision and support for the choices of your curatorial team. As the public face and spokesperson for the AGW, you will raise the gallery profile and grow its importance in Windsor and beyond.
- Provide visionary leadership, including strategic direction and financial sustainability for the Gallery.
- Build and nurture relationships with audiences, including local artists, communities, partners, funders, and other stakeholders including the University of Windsor and St. Clair College.
- Stimulate and promote excellence and innovation in the Gallery’s programs and exhibitions.
- Play an advocacy and ambassadorial role for the Gallery in Windsor-Essex, in Ontario, Canada and internationally.
- Manage the Gallery’s resources – human, financial and physical – so as to strengthen the Gallery’s pre-eminent role in an increasingly competitive environment.
- Manage the critical relationship with the City of Windsor.
- Provide regular reports to the Board on financial and other matters; keep the Board informed of any actions which may affect the Gallery.
- Ensure that effective financial control and sound accounting practices are in place; monitor expenditures in relation to budget and to actual income.
- Lead the AGW’s annual fundraising campaigns.
- Develop and maintain corporate, private foundation, government and community sponsorships and partnerships.
- Collaborate with curatorial staff, guest curators, and other galleries and institutions to plan and present compelling and popular exhibitions.
- Ensure effective recruitment, orientation, training and development of staff and volunteers.
- Develop a culture that promotes respect and teamwork, builds loyalty, drives engagement, and maximizes employee potential and appeals to outside talent.
- At least five years’ experience of successful leadership within the not-for-profit or cultural sector, or other relevant experience.
- Strong business acumen. Accountable and fiscally responsible. Proven ability to develop a sustainable business plan, oversee operations, and manage assets/resources.
- Excellent budgeting and financial management skills.
- Knowledge and awareness of how to develop future and increasingly diverse audiences.
- Brings an understanding and experience in marketing, including the use of social media to increase attendance.
- A vision for presenting innovative exhibitions and programs that attract audiences.
- Proven track record in managing fundraising and development campaigns.
- Track record of excellent relationships and results with granting councils and agencies.
- Experience in working effectively with a volunteer board.
- Experience in motivating others, delegating effectively, and managing conflict.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills; able to prioritize and juggle projects simultaneously.
- Culturally aligned with AGW’s mandate, mission, and vision.
- A relevant university or post-graduate degree.
- A high-energy visionary with business savvy, drive and dedication.
- Knowledge of, and passion for, the visual arts in Canada.
- Interest in the local community and a commitment to educating through the arts.
- Confident and influential communicator who is engaging, outgoing, and personable.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills – in written, verbal, and digital.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a passion for fundraising.
- High standards of professional and personal integrity. Engenders confidence and trust from staff, the Board, and arts community.
- Commitment to consultation and consensus-building.
- Active listener, with a collegial management style.
- Results-oriented and disciplined; accepts ownership with a hands-on approach.
A competitive compensation package will be offered, complete with salary and benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
We thank applicants for their interest, however, only those advancing in the process will be contacted.
The Art Gallery of Windsor is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with Human Resource Development Canada policy, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.