Special Events Officer
City of Coquitlam
Regular Full Time
Parks, Recreation and Culture Services
The City of Coquitlam is the sixth largest city in B.C. with home to more than 150,000 residents. Our municipality continues to grow through development of our green spaces, arts & culture, urban design and state-of-the art transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre.
The City Parks, Recreation & Culture Department is currently recruiting for a Special Events Officer to join our team of professionals who is passionate about community events. This is a CUPE Local 386 position. The Department is responsible for producing major City signature events including the Kaleidoscope Arts Festival, Summer Concert Series, park and facility openings and Coquitlam Celebrates Canada Day, which attracts 70,000 attendees each year.
This is specialized recreational work involving the planning and coordination of a variety of community events for the City of Coquitlam and facilitating community event permits and approvals. The Special Event Officer:
- Plans, coordinates and implements a variety of public events; develops and prepares detailed event plans; facilitates community event permits and approvals;
- Establishes and maintains effective working relations with a variety of internal and external contacts;
- Directs auxiliary staff, contractors and volunteers;
- Exercises considerable independence of judgment, action and initiative, within established guidelines, referring difficult or contentious matters to a supervisor; and
- Performs the majority of work through collaborative team planning.
The successful candidate will bring the following requirements:
- Candidates must have considerable knowledge of the methods, materials, equipment, practices and techniques related to event planning.
- Sound knowledge of the applicable policies, regulations and rules governing events.
- Ability to plan, coordinate and implement large public special events.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contact.
- Ability to monitor event budgets and to prepare and maintain detailed reports, records, files, correspondence.
- Ability to orient, train and direct the work of part-time staff, contractors and volunteers assisting with events.
- Ability to lift bulky objects, climb ladders and stand and walk for long periods.
- Ability to work evening and weekend during summer event season.
- Completion of a post-secondary education in event planning, arts & culture programming or related field, plus sound related experience OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Driver's License for the Province of British Columbia.
A CUPE hourly rate of $29.74 to $34.98 is being offered, along with a competitive benefits package and an earned day off program.
Applicants under consideration will be required to consent to a Police Information Check/Vulnerable Sector Check.
Please apply online by 5 p.m. September 19, 2019 at coquitlam.ca/jobs. Please attach a recent driver’s abstract (within 30 days) with your application.
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.