Koffler Centre of the Arts
The Koffler Centre of the Arts (Koffler) is an innovative multi-platform cultural destination in the heart of Toronto’s Queen West arts community. It is unique from other cultural institutions in mandate and diversity of programs and has created a national and international presence in the contemporary arts and cultural milieu. Established in 1977 as part of the Bathurst Jewish Community Centre, Koffler has grown from a community cultural centre to an internationally respected arts organization.
Koffler’s mandate is to reflect an institutional commitment to producing cross-cultural arts experiences that foster meaningful dialogue. This positions the arts as a driver of social change. To that end, Koffler seeks to engage some of the most pressing questions of our day through its cultural platform.
As a Jewish organization, we value and aim to foster social justice, equality and inclusiveness, nurturing a passion for learning and understanding. We seek to position Jewish identify in conversation with diverse perspectives and global voices to examine complex issues in a respectful, constructive way. These principles guide our program of world-class exhibitions, performances, discussions, readings, and digital initiatives.
In the fall of 2014, the Koffler moved downtown to the Artscape Youngplace building at Shaw and Queen Streets. This cultural hub provides flexible and accessible spaces for many artists and arts organizations (i.e. SKETCH, PaperHouse Studio, Critical Distance, Luminato). The location is at the heart of the Queen West cultural scene and the move has had a significant and positive impact on Koffler’s programming and creative collaborations.
Koffler is a nationally registered, not-for-profit, independent organization that is dedicated to arts and culture.
As Executive Director (ED) of the Koffler Centre of the Arts, you will inspire the Board, staff, the arts community, the city of Toronto, and visitors by leading the organization to even greater prominence.
Your leadership will ensure that the Koffler Centre continues to present innovative programming to attract a diverse and expanding audience, while having the financial and operational capacity to fully support its mission today and into the future. You are a visionary who will lead the overall strategic direction for the Koffler Centre while working in close partnership with a dedicated Board and staff.
- Natural leadership skills; a proactive and dynamic professional who inspires confidence and credibility; has a strategic orientation and an honest, transparent and collaborative leadership style.
- A genuine passion and belief in Koffler’s mission to explore and address thought-provoking social issues as well as art that engages and entertains.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills; decisive, confident, humane.
- Team approach and willingness to empower those reporting to you.
- A desire and ability to partner with Koffler’s programmers to co-lead the development and execution of the organization’s visions and goals.
- Business savvy, driven, and dedicated to outstanding programming and audience engagement.
- A self-starter undaunted by a lean institution; an entrepreneurial spirit; a track record of coalescing others around objectives and their successful implementation.
- A strategic thinker who embraces innovation and change. Politically astute.
- Digitally skilled; comfortable working with digital platforms.
- A genuine commitment to support and grow an internal culture that values people and provides an opportunity for everyone to flourish.
- Authentic and genuine communication skills and public-speaking abilities. The personal stature to inspire the organization, the Board and the stakeholders by representing Koffler with integrity.
- Dedicated to the principles of equal opportunity, cultural diversity, and broadening access to the arts.
- A confident, calm, and tactful professional approach that demonstrates emotional intelligence with an ability to deal with a wide variety of people and with changing internal and external conditions.
- A commitment to contribute to the cultural conversations in both the Canadian and international arts community.
A competitive compensation package will be provided with salary and applicable benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please download and carefully review the complete job posting: FINAL_Searchlight_Job_Specification___Koffler_ED.docx.
Koffler Centre of the Arts is an equal-opportunity employer committed to reflecting our country’s diversity. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
We thank applicants for their interest, however, only those advancing in the process will be contacted.