City of Kingston
History and innovation thrive in Kingston, located at the head of the St. Lawrence River and the junction of the Rideau Canal (a UNESCO World Heritage site). A dynamic city with a sound and diversified economic base - consisting of prestigious public institutions, government bodies, leading healthcare and education facilities, significant tourism and entertainment activity, and a large private sector, Kingston offers the quality of life of a smaller community with the amenities of a major centre. The Intelligent Community Forum named Kingston a Top 7 Intelligent Community in 2014.
The Museum Assistant supports the daily operations of the two City-owned museums; including the MacLachlan Woodworking Museum and the Pump House Steam Museum as well as Kingston City Hall National Historic Site. The primary responsibility of this position is to facilitate the visitor experience through the delivery of excellent customer service, site interpretation, program delivery and special events. The Museum Assistant is also required to support the work of the Curators through research, exhibit development and outreach initiatives as well as to assist the Civic Collections Technician with collections care. This position is also expected to support volunteers and seasonal staff in tandem with the site Curators and the broader Cultural Heritage Team.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist with the daily operations of the two City-owned museums and Kingston City Hall National Historic Site, including some facility support.
- Provide excellent customer service, including greeting the public, site orientation and cash sales.
- Facilitate public tours and support program delivery and special events.
- Deliver educational programs to school, university, adult and seniors groups as needed.
- Support the Curators through research, exhibit development and outreach initiatives and assist with collections care.
- Support volunteers and seasonal staff in tandem with the site Curators, including recruitment, training, scheduling and monitoring.
- Support marketing programs and initiatives.
- Respond to public enquiries as needed.
- Perform routine tasks related to office administration and cash handling.
- Prepare reports as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3 year diploma or degree in Museum Management, Museum Studies, History, Public History or a related field.
- Six (6) months museum, customer service and cash handling experience.
- Technical knowledge of museological practices, including research, exhibit design, collections care, programming and event coordination.
- Knowledge of subject areas relevant to the two City-owned museums (MacLachlan Woodworking Museum and/or Pump House Steam Museum) and Kingston City Hall National Historic Site.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office as well as ticketing, data entry and database software is preferred.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and WHMIS.
- Must have own transportation and a valid "G" Ontario class driver’s license.
- Required to obtain and maintain satisfactory Criminal Record Check (CPIC) with Vulnerable Sector at own expense.
Skills, Abilities, Work Demands
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Willingness to work in a dynamic, team oriented environment
- Ability to multi-task, adapt to change, solve problems and be self-directed when needed
- Attention to detail and mental/visual alertness
- Comfortable using hand tools and other materials associated with site interpretation and program delivery
- Occasional contact with heat, cold, humidity and the outdoors
- Some evening and weekend work is required
- French or other languages considered an asset
|City Job Title||Museum Assitant||Job Number||J0418-0125|
|Job Code||09B251||Job Category||Culture|
|Department||Cultural Services||Bargaining Unit||CUPE|
|Job Type||Full-time||Employment Type||Replacement|
|Number of Positions||1||Hours of Work||35 hr/week|
|Salary||$24.38 - $29.84/Hour||Closing Date||April 25, 2018|
Please apply to Career Opportunities at: www.cityofkingston.ca/Careers
Your resume must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements of the position. Please upload to your profile, any educational Degrees, Diplomas and/or Certificates that are relevant and required for the position you are applying to. We thank all of those who apply; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. The City of Kingston is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. Information collected will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.