Creative Director/ Project Lead
We are looking for a talented, effective and innovative Creative Director / Project Lead to join our team starting April 2018. The selected candidate will oversee all of our production needs (from pre to post), provide quality control, and help Sandbox maintain its artistic edge. Key responsibilities will include production management and creative direction, while also providing guidance and support to the core Sandbox team and liaising with clients as required. The ideal candidate is interested in working in a startup environment, can wear multiple hats and has the ability to problem-solve.
Sandbox is a Toronto based full-service, bilingual production company (French and English) specializing in delivering high quality video, animation and multimedia services for the non-profit and public sectors. We are located just south of Trinity Bellwoods park, on Stafford Street. For more information about Sandbox, please visit www.sandboxinc.ca.
Contract and compensation
- The position is a full-time one-year contract with possibility of renewal
- with a 60-day trial period
- The salary range is $48,000 - $62,000 annually
- based on experience
- The position also includes 4 weeks of paid vacation
- 2 of which are during office closure over the winter holidays
The responsibilities include
- Managing productions of various types for a broad range of clients:
- Overseeing pre-production from script development, location scouting, to conducting research
- Assembling/scouting for key production team members (including other directors when need be)
- Working with teams on the ground, in Canada and abroad
- Overseeing post-production, including story editing and quality control
- Directing productions when required
- Contributing to competitive bids & participating on pitches to clients
- Managing the hiring of technical staff and providing guidance to core Sandbox staff
- Contributing to outreach initiatives, including event planning, etc.
- Supporting senior management by coordinating project approvals, etc.
Required skills, knowledge and experience:
- A minimum of 4 years of film experience in fiction and documentary
- A solid understanding of the production process
- Strong understanding of documentary & fiction language and structure
- Ability to lead teams and manage projects autonomously and efficiently
- Directing actors & non-actors
- Leading subject interviews
- Creative writing & story editing
- Ability to work with a broad range of projects under tight timelines
- Ability to develop and maintain a network of contacts in the art community in Toronto
- Recognized achievements (i.e. festival entries, awards, broadcast, etc.)
- Bilingual in English and French
- Driver’s license
- Post-production skills (Premiere, After Effects)
- CV and cover letter
- Four samples of work directed solely by the applicant
- Any other sample, i.e. music video, experimental, etc.
- For each sample, provide contact for reference (i.e. client, producer, supervisor, etc.)
- Provide one sample of creative writing (preferably pitches or proposals)
- If applicable, provide reference from last employer (within the last year)
We thank you for your interest in Sandbox - please note that only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.