Soulpepper Theatre Company (Soulpepper) is seeking an inspiring Artistic Director (AD) to lead one of Canada’s largest and most dynamic theatre organizations.
Together with the Executive Director (ED), a position currently being filled, the AD will lead a new and re-energized Soulpepper that embraces and engages a wide diversity of audiences. The AD will contribute a clear and innovative artistic vision for the organization’s future while also furthering Soulpepper’s reputation for the creation of original work.
In order to build on Soulpepper’s previous successes, the AD will work with a group of talented resident artists, and be responsible for: programming a year-round mix of classical and contemporary work performed at the highest level of excellence; overseeing the Soulpepper Academy, an exemplary theatre training program; nurturing Project imagiNation, a well-funded enterprise that commissions and develops innovative new theatre work; and bringing new energy to well-regarded community outreach programs.
The AD and ED will develop a new five-year Strategic Plan, with input from artists, staff, a highly engaged Board of Directors, and supportive stakeholders. The AD will have primary responsibility for setting Soulpepper’s artistic direction, its year-round programming, and managing all artistic personnel. This includes directors, actors, designers, producers, music directors, academy faculty, and production (which is shared with the ED).
The AD will advocate for the company with utmost integrity and respect for an inclusive and collaborative culture, while demonstrating artistic and operational best practices.
- Creativity, innovation, and ambition, with a passion for a broad range of theatre that explores and addresses social and political issues, as well as theatre that engages and entertains.
- A clear and inspiring vision for the future of Soulpepper, with demonstrated ability to develop and implement practical strategies to achieve our collective aspirations.
- A demonstrated track record of inclusive and strategic artistic leadership, collaboration and team building with strong interpersonal skills, integrity, high energy, and creativity.
- A successful record of directing significant theatre productions and developing new work on contemporary issues for the stage.
- National and international network of relationships with other theatre companies, as well as writers, directors, musicians, choreographers and others.
- Proven ability to program and commission new plays combined with an ability to provide dramaturgical support to writers.
- Proven record of attracting and collaborating with artists of the highest calibre, developing new projects, co-productions, creative partnerships and nurturing artists.
- Commitment to the highest level of artistic excellence in every area of the company’s activity.
- Progressive experience in leading and managing fundraising strategies and campaigns, and in identifying sources of earned revenue.
- Strong financial management skills and experience managing budgets. Excellent stakeholder management skills; experience reporting to a Board of Directors is an asset.
- Knowledge and passion for Canadian artists and playwrights.
- In-depth awareness of theatre activity: locally, nationally, and internationally. Brings a global perspective capable of developing international collaborations.
- Undergraduate degree or experiential equivalent.
- Genuine commitment to the principles of equal opportunity, respect and inclusion, cultural diversity, and broadening access to the arts.
- Creative and visionary leadership, with a demonstrated dynamic presence that will inspire the Board, staff, donors, and patrons to support the public vision.
- An engaging personality; one that can clearly articulate Soulpepper’s artistic vision.
- Resilience and responsiveness to the changing external environment.
- A sensitivity to the distinctive cultural plurality of 21st century Toronto.
- Willingness to foster collegial relationships with peers and other members of management.
- Innate honesty and transparency. An individual whose first instinct is to always take the high road.
- Professional, confident, calm, and tactful approach with an ability to deal with a wide variety of people.
- Consistency in seeking out, hearing, and embracing diverse voices and alternative points of view.
- Ability to delegate, negotiate, and resolve conflict.
- Personal integrity, honesty, intellect, empathy and strong social skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Capacity to work under pressure, accepting ownership with a roll-up-your-sleeves approach.
- A desire to surround oneself with high-level talent and celebrate achievement in others.
- A masterful team builder, motivator, coach and mentor who leads by example.
- A collaborator who works well with staff to create and mount a production, with a supportive and empowering management style.
- An entrepreneurial risk-taker.
A competitive, experienced-based compensation package will be provided.
How to Apply
Please download and carefully review the complete job posting FINAL_Searchlight_Position_Specification___Soulpepper_AD.pdf. Please submit your application by emailing your cover letter and résumé to: email@example.com no later than June 15th, 2018.