Public Art Award
The Award of Excellence – Public Art recognizes a Canadian municipality* that demonstrated visionary leadership by supporting an excellent program and process that led to a successful public art project or program.Eligibility:
This Award is open to a Canadian municipality* that unveiled a public art project within 24 months of the Award Program submission deadline or has an ongoing public art program.
1. Demonstrates excellence in the field of public art practice and arts administration.
2. Exemplifies the power of public art to enhance connections between people, place and culture.
3. Includes a public engagement component and the artwork - whether permanent or temporary - is accessible to the public.
4. Demonstrates best practice to achieve the optimum fit among community aspirations, public benefit and artistic practice;
5. Demonstrates, if applicable, a fair and equitable adjudication process;
6. Facilitates community-building, cultural development, and community animation;
7. Demonstrates, if applicable, best practice regarding: site selection, request for proposals, community engagement, installation, maintenance and strategic integration with local government services.
o Municipal governments
o Regional governments
o Arts Councils
o Band Councils